Saturday, February 25, 2017

What does light have to do with photography and photograph?

I was studying my science quizlet on growing and flowing vocabulary flashcards, one of the questions was about phototropism. Phototropism: The tendency for a plant to grow towards light.
I know that the prefix "photo" is used in "photosynthesis" and based on this I can infer that "photo" means light. So what does photography or photograph have to do with light?

After some research I found that,
"Photography is the science, art, application and practice of creating durable images by recording light or other electromagnetic radiation." - Wikipedia
This helps me understand that by taking a picture you are recording light. That is why the prefix "photo" is used in the words photography and photograph!


(Pictures taken from www.cnet.com and www.pcwallart.com)

3 comments:

  1. Great wonder question! I always wondered about why phototropism has that prefix, but I didn't even think about how they could possibly be connected!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Lauren i never thought of that. Those were some great pictures to and nice citing where you got them from

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Kid,

    I love this post! How cool is it that a photograph is "recording light?!" I hadn't ever thought of it that way, that's for sure.

    And I love that you are looking at prefixes here. That's a super important skill for students. Once you know your prefixes and suffixes, you can figure out lots of word meanings.

    A nudge: I think this post should also have the label "Language Arts" because this is something that you are working on there, too. And "Prefixes". Remember that you can have as many labels as you want -- so overdo it. It will make searching easier later.

    Rock on,
    Mr. F

    ReplyDelete